[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Requesting Items for a Node

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 24 16:33:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:16:34AM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 11:22:42AM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > > IMHO there should be three independent groups:
> > > 1. publishers
> > > 2. subscribers
> > > 3. readers
> > >
> > > Subscriber could be automatically a reader (allowed to fetch items), but
> > > not the other way. Subscribing to a node just to fetch one, already
> > > published, node may be suboptimal (the subscribing entity could be
> > > flooded with item it doesn't want).
> >
> > So a "reader" would be able to retrieve items at will, but the service
> > would not push items to the reader? That seems much like a subscriber
> > who has set a delivery flag to "false". So perhaps the best approach
> > would be to create a subscription option for this, rather than to create
> > a new class of readers. I suggest a boolean field of "pubsub#deliver"
> > whose default value is true (notifications are sent) but which may be
> > set to false (no notifications sent), in the pubsub#subscribe_options
> > FORM_TYPE.
>
> Yes, that would solve the problem. That could be misleading (subscriber
> who is not really subscribed), but will be backward-compatible with
> existing implementation, which is very important now.

Well, mailing list software (with which I am painfully familiar ;-)
often has this option -- you can be subscribed to the list but not
receive messages. That feature can be handy if, for example, you are
going on vacation -- disable message delivery and then turn it on again
when you return. The same thing might be helpful for pubsub.

/psa