[Standards-JIG] Directed presence -> subscribed -> unsubscribed -> ???

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Sat Nov 26 01:42:15 UTC 2005

Hey all,

In the rfc3921 section 5.1.4 Directed Presence bullet 2 it clearly states
that if a user sends a directed presence to a user that is not in his roster
(or sub=NONE or sub=TO) then the server should take not of the directed
presence. So if the user never sends a directed unavailable presence then
the server should do it on behalf of the user.

I was thinking about the following scenario and couldn't find an answer in
the spec. What if user_1 sent a directed presence to user_2 that was not
present in his roster, then both users subscribe to each other's presence
and then both of them cancel the subscription? According to the spec after a
subscription is cancelled an unavailable presence will be sent to the
contact. Therefore, user_1 will get an unavailable presence from user_2 and
user_2 will get one from user_1. But is this the result we wanted to
achieve? Since user_1 previously sent a directed presence to user_2, I think
that user_2 should not receive an unavailable presence from user_1 after his
presence subscription was cancelled.

The answer should cover this other scenario that is somehow similar. User_1
and user_2 have a presence subscription of type BOTH. User_1 sends a
directed presence to user_2, then both users cancel the presence
subscriptions. Should user_2 get an unavailable presence when the presence
subscription was cancelled?

In my opinion, the server should not be sending unavailable presences if
directed presences were previously sent. Otherwise, user_1 should be aware
of how servers work and should send another directed presence to user_2.
What do you think? :)

Regards,

  -- Gato