[Standards-JIG] Thought about serverside messages archives

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 13:06:10 UTC 2006

Le Vendredi 14 Avril 2006 14:35, Trejkaz a écrit :
> On 14/04/2006, at 21:46 PM, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > The serverarchive still doesn't describe how to retrieve messages.
> > That should include
> >  - retrieving the whole archive (for backup, or faster search, offline
> > browsing, ....)
>
> As a server admin, I'd like to discourage the JEP author from adding
> this use case.

It's not because a JEP allow a feature that every server need to have it.
Correct server implementations may let the admin disable that feature, or
limit it (maximum storage space, not full retrieving, ....)

Of course, the JEP must say the server may not support it, so client
implementation are made accordingly

> As a single user, the total accumulated size of my
> logs is tens of megabytes in size.  I don't want hundreds of users
> having the ability to chew tens of megs of bandwidth each, every time
> one of them wants to update their logs.

That's ineed a problem.

Having the way to download the whole content is usefull for archiving,
offline consultation, or doing some task (statistics, analyzes, more advanced
searching)  So it is important.

But one may except it is not something that happen too often. Once the client
has retrieved the history on the hard drive, it will do periodic small sync.
And most of user will not have the need to have a local copy of their history.

Note that logs is something that can be compressed very well:
my 38MB logs archive (5 years) get compressed to 5MB with bzip2