[Standards-JIG] new <remember/> element for Data Forms

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 22:10:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

A real world implementation need prompted me to think that JEP-0004
might be usefully extended with a new <remember/> element. This would
facilitate the automatic inclusion of an *extra* checkbox at the bottom
of a form dialog with a label like: 'Remember this Username and Password
the next time I have to fill in this form'.

Here is a rough specification to illustrate what I mean:

"Each <field/> element within a Data Form of type 'form' MAY contain a
single <remember/> element, which MUST be empty.

"The presence of the <remember/> element within a <field/> element flags
that it is RECOMMENDED that the receiving entity offers to save a copy
of any submited value of the field for its user. The value MAY then be
reused only to provide a default value for the field the next time the
client receives the same form (with the same to and from JIDs)."

Note the behaviour would be entirely optional for both the creator and
submitter of the form, and therefore perfectly backward compatible with
all implementations of JEP-0004 Final.

I guess 'Final' means final, although a quick reading of JEP-0001 didn't
seem to explicitly disallow changes in 2.x versions that would be
perfectly backward compatible with all 2.0 implementations. If people
think protocol like this is a good idea then the <remember/> element
could instead be specified in a new mini-JEP as something like <x
xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/remember'/>.

- Ian