[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Language Translation

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Fri Jan 20 11:40:31 UTC 2006

Boyd Fletcher wrote:

>interesting idea about using ESA. we'll take a look a yours and provide
>feedback. one of our design goals with the protocol was to have as little
>impact on the servers as possible thus the ability to use client side
>translation yet still support server side translation for those sites
>willing and able to modify their server configurations.

I envisioned a service like MUC, pub/sub, gateways, etc. that you'd send
your message to for translation. Such a service could be connected to
any server on the network. The extra address information would be used
by the service to eventually send the translation(s) to the right
person. Assuming client support for extended addressing, the client
should know who originally sent the message. I'm not sure if that
assumption would work out in the wild at the moment. Without it, then
the translation server would have to act as a middle man.

- Nolan