[Standards-JIG] message types

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 00:07:25 UTC 2006

On 6/27/06, Tomasz Sterna <tomek at xiaoka.com> wrote:
> As we all know we have three message types:
> - plain message (no type attribute)
> - chat message
> - headline message
>
> My question is, are they anything usefull today or are just a plain
> legacy from Jabber times?
> Are we going to do something usefull with it?

Sorry, have to totally disagree with you here.  I enjoy the
distinction and in fact use all 3 every day.

Chat = human to human

Headlines = news or any sort of automated receipt.  Machine -> Human.
My RSS bots use headline.

Messages are, well, messages.  They are more "stateful" than IM,
slightly less so than email.

 I use message a lot.  If I want to paste anything over say, 10 lines
of text I'll pop that into a message window.  I've taken a large piece
of data out-of-band and I'm delivering it in a way that is easier to
read, at least how I use my jabber client.  My chat window tabset
stays the same (small) size at all times.  My message window I might
make 800x600 to hold some code.  In addition, all offline messages
that I send are messages.

HTH :)

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)