[Standards-JIG] Phone service discovery

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Sat May 6 22:14:36 UTC 2006

I hear you Nolan. My mistake, I should have made the scope clearer. The
discovery process concerns both public and private exchanges phone systems,
as well as VOIP services. It could even be applied to a native Jingle PBX.

But in all respect, I was taking a stepped approach by addressing categories
first. Do we need a differentiator at the category/type level for POTS, or
VOIP services? Isn't it more appropriate to have the differentiation at the
disco features level? At the category/type which is provided in the disco
identity level we should limit ourselves to voice/video, don't you think?

For XMPP such service will expose some Jingle flavor anyway. And if one
discovers a voice service, the service proxy/gateway/... will disclose its
supported capabilities through disco features. At this point, the client
will be able to obtain more specific information. But this information will
be expressed as a set of supported Jingle features, isn't it?

>From a Jingle perspective, I don't think it really matters what is
implemented behind the voice service proxy/gateway/... It will be the
service's task to translate between Jingle and the POTS/SIP/Skipe/etc...
Sounds very similar to an IM transport.

Jean-Louis