Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Wed May 17 19:39:35 UTC 2006

Michal vorner Vaner typeth:
| Well, jabber is IM protocol, not conference and public help. They aim at

no no no irc had /notify in 1990. it was aimed at doing the same job
as jabber, it only did it in the worst possible way.

| different goals. IRC does not have real identities, does not
| interoperate in each-to-each manner (using IRC for chatting with my

didn't i say multicast is the only thing irc is doing a bit right?
if you want to talk about the problems of irc, you will find them
listed up nicely in RFC1324 and http://www.psyc.eu/synconf

| anyhow you want), one message is sent to the network and is multiplied
| to many connections. It is how MUC does it.

no, irc distributes the message along the network tree, never sending a
message over a link twice. MUC fans out copies of the same message to
every person, no matter if several of them are on the same server.
see also last month's discussion.

from a distribution point of view, IRC is smarter than jabber, still.
we are here to change that.

| Where did you see infinite? I said these few bytes do not worth the time
| to optimize. I just said human time is far more expensive than the
| bandwith.

you are most likely to be in error. ask jean-louis how much a few bytes
count when multiplied by hundreds of thousands of users.

| And, if it really matters to you, place the connection under TLS, it
| compresses the data before encryption, you gain security by it as well
| and have libraries for it already.

compression is already being used, and it doesn't save you.
again, see last month's discussion.