Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed May 24 16:06:22 UTC 2006

Richard Dobson wrote:

>> 6. Negotiation
>>
>> This protocol MUST be negotiated between parties willing to optimize
>> traffic. A
>> stream feature negotiation is appropriate. During such a negotiation the
>> resource name is agreed upon, which in this example was 'route'.
>>

> Something to note is this would not be negotiated using stream features,
> this would be negotiated using disco.

I dont see how this could be useful for anything but a direct
connection, hence the suggestion to use stream:features, where
negotiation takes place before the connection is established.

> Also, with your protocol how does the sending server know if the list is
> populated yet and how does it know who is already in the list? It seems
> to me that this can easily get out of sync with neither side having any
> way of knowing if it is or not, this is something that needs to be
> resolved,
The worst case for this is rebuilding this list with EACH tcp connection
and it is valid no longer than the lifetime of that (e.g. you send
a presence broadcast first and after that you only send smarticasts).

Philipp