Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri May 26 10:21:48 UTC 2006

On Wed May 24 08:53:44 2006, Carlo v. Loesch wrote:
> The new proto-JEP has been updated on
> 	http://www.jabber.org/jeps/inbox/smartpresence.html

A few comments. Basically, I think this is improving, and I think
that in terms of security/privacy, I think this is fine.

I'm uncomfortable about the implicit address-list setup. I'm
concerned that it may prove quite easy to inadvertantly confuse
things, and I suspect that using a different method for handling the
setup becomes more reusable.

In particular, I'm thinking about sending presence to a series of
people, plus a directed presence, might confuse things, and I'm
merely suspicious of multiple resources getting tangled. I just think
it might be slightly too tricky to get things right.

Perhaps it might be possible for the remote end to assert (perhaps in
Disco) that any creation of an address-list will work, which could
then allow an address-list to be created and used without using a
round-trip.

(Oh, I agree that this is a Disco feature, but I also agree that we
ought to work on hop-to-hop Disco with a minimum of round-trips -
ideally none.)

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/