[Standards-JIG] NEW: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Nov 22 00:02:22 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 3:21 pm, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.1 of XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This document defines an XMPP protocol extension for sending
> pings over an XML stream.

My initial reaction to this XEP is that it has considerable overlap with
XEP-0198 (Stanza Acknowledgements).  In particular, stream-level pings are
already covered in XEP-0198.

XMPP Ping also proposes an end-to-end ping mechanism.  This may not be a bad
idea, but I see it as serving a completely different purpose than
stream-level pings.  So, my initial suggestion would be to reduce XMPP Ping
to only cover e2e pings.

-Justin