[Standards-JIG] Fwd: proto-JEP: SVG Whiteboarding

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 03:45:16 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> Joonas Govenius wrote:
> > As for the format of the id, the proposed format was my idea for
> > making sure they are unique in the session. However, I chatted with
> > Boyd and Michael yesterday and agreed that using GUIDs (Globally
> > Unique Identifiers) makes sense.
>
> What's the algorithm for creating these?

I'm not yet familiar with the details but hopefully Boyd or Keith can
explain their method. I think they use JID as one of the inputs.

In anycase, I think the idea is that even though collisions are not
stricktly speaking impossible, they are so unlikely that they are
irrelevant as it is more likely that such a collision is due to a
hardware failure, like memory corruption, than due to an actual
failure of the method.

Joonas