[Standards-JIG] anti-SPIM advantages

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Sat Sep 23 02:52:35 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 09:32, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> > On 9/22/06, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> > > DNS blacklists are a counter-example.
> >
> > They can be abused certainly, but I disagree that they are a
> > "counter-example".
>
> What do you mean? You seem to agree that they are a widely deployed,
> interoperable, and effective anti-spam standard, albeit de facto.
> Ian was saying that such a thing does not exist.

SPEWS, SORBS... both list vast tracts of the net that do not spam, and have no
method for removal (go ahead, meet their terms... their answer is still "FUCK
YOU!  STAY LISTED!!11!!!").  Then others know they tend to list a little too
broadly, like bl.spamcop.net, and advertise as such and specifically tell
postmasters not to use them for 5xx rejections, and yet people still abuse
bl.spamcop.net in such a manner...

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): baloo at ursine.ca