[Standards] XEP 85 "gone" and "inactive" state

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 19:30:29 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I typically have dozens of windows open and arrange them on my
> screen so that I can keep an eye on a given chat window even as I work
> in other applications (continuous partial attention, baby!). Personally
> I happen to think that I'm still actively monitoring the chat window,
> even though it does not have application focus.

"focused" was just an example. "visible" could be another. "minimized"
works too. Anything that reflects the actual state of the conversation
as far as the remote user is concerned is great. I don't think
"haven't typed anything in some arbitrary amount of time" is a useful
indicator.

> In general, I don't care what heuristics client developers use to
> determine the active, inactive, composing, paused, and gone states, as
> long as you implement XEP-0085 so we can kill off message events. :-)

I've implemented sending 'gone' as "closed the conversation window"
and have left "inactive" unimplemented, which is what makes most sense
for Gaim. I want to implement receiving gone as printing a message
"so-and-so has left the conversation," but unless that message only
shows up when the other user has actually done something explicit,
it'll just confuse people like MSN did.

The XEP does allow me to implement the states however I want (which is
good), but I'd be happier if the XEP language recommended only
changing states from explicit user action, not arbitrary timeouts. :)

-Sean.