Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue Jul 3 22:43:56 UTC 2007

> I have to admit, the only times I've wondered what client someone's
> using, I've asked them directly. You know, using the wetware layer.
> "What client are you using?". It's an old fashioned way of doing
> it, but it works really well, and gets you quite a bit of
> additional freeform metadata.
>
> I suppose this new fangled version thing would work okay, too,
> there's no pressing need for me to know, though, most of the time.
>
> However... I hate to lose potential functionality out of a protocol
> - it feels wrong. I've no better argument than that, though.

As was noted, it provides a good 'default' icon for people who don't
have a buddy icon set.  You can set a little trident for anyone using
Psi, and so on.

Beyond that, I can't think of a good reason for it, but add as an
anecdotal note when I pulled displaying the client version in
tooltips out of the early builds of Astra, the testers howled bloody
murder until I put it back.  So, for whatever reason, I can attest
that my users actually do want it. :)