Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jul 5 03:00:00 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Mridul wrote:
>> So queries for both bare jid and ns#ver will be supported (and return
>> the same value) ? And all clients using newer spec would use bare jid I
>> suppose ? (so that we can deprecate ns#ver and remove this in the future)
>>

> Yes.
>
>> But we do lose ability to enable/disable plugins without invalidating
>> user's caps data... might be an acceptable tradeoff.
>>

> Yes, if 'ext' is obsoleted, the hash value in the caps element will
> change whenever the supported features change (including when a plugin
> is enabled disabled).
>
> But as you say, the tradeoff (for simplicity) might be acceptable, since
> the disadvantage (of more hash values) may be marginal.

Especially because we have a finite number of protocols:

http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/namespaces.html

And some of those are "payload" namespaces that would not be advertised
in service discovery.

Granted, the number of protocols a client might advertise will increase
over time, and the number of potential combinations is large. But in
practice I think that most clients will support a rather narrow range of
combinations.

/psa