[Standards] User *ing formats and Atom. Was: inactive XEPs

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sun Jul 15 10:10:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 13:37 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> > [..]
> > Most of the inactive ones are PEP-based, which itself takes a lot of
> > time to be implemented, and so it doesn't make any sense to work on
> > those any further until this is resolved.
>
> Well, true -- all those "User *ing" specs. Last year sometime Jean-Louis
> Seguineau suggested that we might want to work with people outside the
> Jabber realm on Atom extensions for those (rather than making our own
> little formats for everything). I'm open to that but haven't yet figured
> out who to engage in that kind of conversation.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with defining our own little
formats for these pieces of information. While I absolutely love the
Atom format, I don't know what we would gain from defining the
additional elements on top of Atom instead of directly on PEP. If there
are other formats in the same realm, we should probably provide sensible
mappings, though. Remember why we chose our own location spec over the
RFC...

That said, we /should/ finalize our efforts in the Atom over pubsub for
various other uses. Such as blog items and other typically feed like
transport (flickr, delicious, etc).

Since all this directly touches on my work, I am planning on being
active in this realm for the near future.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm