[Standards] JID Escaping

Mats Bengtsson matben at privat.utfors.se
Fri Jul 20 12:41:32 UTC 2007

>> But then the XEP is wrong since it includes the "/" character to be
>> > escaped.
> No its not, it is specifying escaping of the node portion of the JID, it
> specifically says you must not escape the resource.

It is since you cannot uniquely separate the JID into its node+domain+resource parts.
You cannot tell which the node part is. In my example

User JID: mats at home.se/coci at home.se/mats at home.se/coci

the node part may be: mats\40home.se\2fcoci\40home.se\2fmats
The problem is escaping both the "@" and "/" and be able to uniquely identify the
node+domain+resource parts of a JID. I think you can allow to escape either
of these characters but not both.

Mats