[Standards] XEP-0045: roomnick case

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Jul 20 17:19:53 UTC 2007

> I'm late posting, but case-sensitivity is just one of many ways that room
> nicks can be confusing. "StPeter" vs "St.Peter" vs "St. Peter" vs
> "St Peter", or even "StPeter " -- and then there are all the visually
> confusable Unicode glyphs. ("StΡeter".) It's not obvious to me that
> case-folding is the worst of these.

That's true. That's why Textshell's proposal of leaving it up to the
server to decide what's duplicate and what not is the best way to go.
A simple implementation does no checking at all, whereas a very
complex implementation could use an algorithm to calculate similarness
of nicknames (taking into account the whole Unicode set and
spaces/dots/characters in between characters, ...), and reject the
ones that are too similar.

cheers,
Remko