[Standards] RFC 3920, 10.2/10.3: subdomain routing rules

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Tue Mar 27 16:57:09 UTC 2007

> > There are a couple of comments, in sections 3.2 and C.4, which seem
> > imply that routing of subdomains was special in pre-SRV Jabber, so
> would
> > I be right to guess that this is a historical artefact?
>
> The only "special" routing that I'm aware of, is that if a domain
> resolves to
> the same IP address as one which you already have an active dialback
> s2s
> stream with, then you can initiate a new dialback right over the
> existing
> stream.  (Server guys: correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, we certainly don't do this. We do re-use outgoing connections that
have the same IP for dialback authority, though. I know older jabberd's
used to do this, but with XMPP v1.0 streams I believe you're not allowed
to open multiple streams on the same TCP socket. I would love to know if
anybody is opening multiple streams on the same socket as we'd have to
patch the server. ;)

-JD