[Standards] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Feb 14 14:39:22 UTC 2008

On Thu Feb 14 08:55:29 2008, biojab biojab wrote:
> http://code.google.com/android/migrating/m3-to-m5/m5-api-changes.html#gtalk

Indeed - I think their reasoning is flawed, and their solution will
likely be broken.

I commented on this (and inadvertantly duplicated many of Fabio
Forno's observations, as well as Alex Gnauck's) in my blog, but the
thing that surprises and disappoints me most is the complete surprise
this represents to those of us who are involved in open standards,
and were under the impression that Google cared about them too. I
think in the medium term this is likely to blow up in their faces.

I'm aware that there are several mobile client developers present -
if there's any good to be found here, a concrete proposal for mobile
XMPP would be an excellent step forward. I'm assuming that XEP-0138,
XEP-0198, and probably some sort of roster optimization would all be
useful, for example, but best practises for servers aiming to
optimize for mobile clients (perhaps by buffering the initial
presence surge to gain better compression, for example) would be
useful too.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/