[Standards] binary XML (was: Re: [jdev] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL J9935 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Thu Feb 14 19:57:19 UTC 2008

With or without TLS enabled?

-----Original Message-----
From: standards-bounces at xmpp.org <standards-bounces at xmpp.org>
To: XMPP Extension Discussion List <standards at xmpp.org>
Sent: Thu Feb 14 14:52:55 2008
Subject: Re: [Standards]binary XML (was: Re: [jdev] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

We have tested XMPP (with zlib compression) over radio links (<9.6 kB) and found that chat is not too bad. The biggest problem was the TCP connection and SASL authentication (too many handshakes). It takes up to 3 minutes to connect/reconnect which is not acceptable.

Cheers
Michael

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

	Alexander Gnauck wrote:
	> Fabio Forno schrieb:

	>> - compression is not as bad as I thought and if time to market is
	>> essential that's the only viable solution
	> see also my comments in the jdev thread, I think we should all hop one
	> one thread ;-)
	> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/2008-February/026157.html
	>
	> I have done lots of mobile programming and tests in the past. And it
	> really performs very well. ZLib does not need much CPU and the
	> compression ratio with XMPP XML is amazing.

	IMHO we'll never get people to stop thinking that XML is verbose. It's
	one of those memes that will never go away.

	> When somebody wants to have this binary Xml, which I think is not a bad
	> idea, then plug it into XEP-0138.

	Correct. Boyd Fletcher volunteered to write the small spec for this
	(basically just like XEP-0229 except defining the use of binary XML),
	but nothing has been submitted yet.

	https://stpeter.im/