[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Abuse-Related Errors

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Feb 22 12:48:31 UTC 2008

Unnikrishnan V wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Abuse-Related Errors
>>
>> Abstract: This specification defines an application-specific error
>> condition for reporting abusive communications sent over an XMPP network.

>> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>>

> It will be nice to add  :
> 1) negate a wrongly reported abuse ( after reporting as abuse realizing it
> was not so -like sending a mail with a spell mistake are realizing after
> pressing send button  )

I think this abuse reporting mechanism would be used by a server to
report abuse to a peer (via some kind of automated rate-limiting or
traffic-checking), not by a recipient. Now, errors could occur in that
process ("oops sorry, we thought you were being abusive but it turns out
you weren't, really"). I suppose that might be reported the next time
the offending entity sends a packet over the s2s connection (I don't see
a strong reason to create a new IQ protocol for this).

> I am not sure we need to get a list so that we can correct the wrongly
> reported abuses.

I don't understand that sentence.

https://stpeter.im/