[Standards] New Proto-XEP: Multi-User Gaming

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sat Jul 26 08:33:57 UTC 2008

Hello

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:28:30PM +0200, Torsten Grote wrote:
> in the previous weeks we worked hard on our proposal for Multi-user
> Gaming with XMPP that we would now like to present to this list [1]. It
> is far from ready, but we hope to have covered the most important parts.
> Some aspects of the protocol were even controversial in our working
> group, so we are anxious to receive feedback.
>
> One of these controversial issues is how to integrate our proposal with
> MUC. Since the protocol makes significant use of MUC, we are unsure
> whether to somehow extend MUC, to create a protocol very similar to MUC
> and uses MUC only for chat (current approach) or to create a new
> protocol that takes some parts (e.g. roles) from MUC.

I have read it in fast, so if I say something not being true, I
apologise.

It seems to me some parts of the MUC XEP could be reused (this one is
rather long to read and many parts are the same or similar, would be
nice to somehow say it is MUC with the additions of… ‒ instead of
writing it again).

> In our proposal, the game service validates the turns it gets from the
> clients and kicks misbehaving clients. Permission management is handled
> a bit simpler than in MUC with only one association to the match
> (affiliation).

Does it mean the server part must know the rules? Or is it possible to
have a „generic game“ without rule validation and let users play
whatever they like?

Anyway, I wish you luck with the proposal.

--
Wait few minutes before opening this email. The temperature difference
could lead to vapour condensation.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner