[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Mar 17 22:57:29 UTC 2008

Nolan Eakins wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> Nolan Eakins wrote:
>>  >> Example 1. Stanza as sent to repeater
>>  >
>>  >>    <presence xmlns='jabber:client'
>>  >>              from='poweruser at example.net/foo'
>>  >>              to='e4df4399642aed42b579b05dc5c663aee27d6ec4 at repeater.example.com'
>>  >>              type='probe'/>
>>
>>  We had that in version 0.0.0.5. :)
>>
>>  The problem is that you can't send disco requests or other management
>>  tasks to the repeater. But you could do that by sending those requests
>>  to the repeater service and specifying the particular repeater you're
>>  interested in.
>>
>>  Another thing is that the IQ semantics are helpful here -- the repeater
>>  validates that it has sent all the stanzas and then sends you an IQ result.
>
> I fail to understand the gain there. AFAIK, nothing else in Jabber
> provides such an ack, not even for a single message.
>
> Personally, I'm failing to understand this prevalence of using <iq/>
> to send messages here and in pubsub.

That train has left the station w.r.t. pubsub. But nothing forces us to
follow that pattern here.

> It really boils down to: given a
> basic client that understands some disco, how can I make use of this
> repeater w/o using the XML console?

IMHO this spec is not for clients, it's something that servers and
components (MUC, pubsub, etc.) would use among themselves.

> Presumably via disco and perhaps data forms a client can manage a set
> of repeaters. No new code is needed. It would give me a JID that I
> could add to my roster (maybe that gets done automagically?) or
> directly send a message to w/ some copy and paste.

Yes, that is attractive *if* we think this is something that clients
need or would use.

But note the spam potential. :-)

> As is, this is one more XEP that must be specifically supported by
> both clients and servers. Yay!

See above.

https://stpeter.im/