[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0198 (Stream Management)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jun 2 21:42:08 UTC 2009

On Thu May 28 21:50:34 2009, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for
> active management of an XML stream between two XMPP entities,
> including features for stanza acknowledgements, stream resumption,
> and throttling notifications.

> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the
> introduction and requirements?

It appears to.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If
> not, why not?

Yes, Isode plans to implement this. (Although when, I can't say).

The Security Considerations section is a bit weak - I think it should
make it clear that clients mustn't be allowed to resume other
people's streams, and discuss how this is prevented. (Answer, don't
allow unauthenticated clients to resume streams, etc).

I don't think it needs to mention intermediate proxies - that one had
me bewildered until I realised it means transparent proxies between
client and server.

Mostly. I think it would be useful to define "handled" stanzas by way
of transfer of responsibility.

That is to say, each stanza, under XEP-0198, is either the
responsibility of the sender (to send) or the receiver (to process,
forward, etc). Until a sender receives an ack for the stanza, it has
responsibility, and once the receiver sends an ack, it assumes
responsibility.

Example 12 uses the wrong single letter element local-name - doesn't
it?

I'll probably send more comments later.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net