[Standards] reliable messaging

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 17 09:20:21 UTC 2009

On Tue Jun 16 21:47:03 2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Someone just poked me offlist about reliable messaging in XMPP. I
> replied as follows. Perhaps it makes sense to write this up a bit
> more
> formally?

Might be worthwhile.

> 6. What if I want to know if a specific message was delivered to
> your
> client? My client can use message receipts (also not widely
> implemented
> or deployed, but easy to add to existing clients):
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0184.html

Actually, I think there's another, easy, way of doing this if you
know the full jid of the recipient - XEP-0199 ping them after the
message is sent.

If you get a ping response, then - due to the ordering of all stanzas
between two endpoints - the message must have been delivered.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/