[Standards] dialback refactoring
stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jun 24 20:16:31 UTC 2009
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Phillip Hancke has done yeoman's work on simplifying XEP-0220 (Server
I've completed a review of his work and it looks quite good to me (the
URL above now includes my edits). Ralph Meijer sent me some review
comments via private email, most of which I have also incorporated. A
few issues remain:
1. The terminology can be a bit confusing. I really like the term
"domain pair" (introduced by Phillip). However, we now talk about
Originating Domain and Receiving Domain as well as Originating Server,
Receiving Server, and Authoritative Server. Perhaps it would be a bit
clearer to use the following terms?
- - Sending Domain
- - Receiving Domain
- - Originating Host (actual machine that initiates the negotiation)
- - Accepting Host (actual machine to which Originating Host connects)
- - Authoritative Host (actual machine that Accepting Host checks with)
2. Error handling. Ralph pointed out that we could use stanza errors
instead of the 'condition' attribute. I rather like that idea (let's
re-use what we've already defined), which is probably why I was re-using
stream errors in version 0.3 of XEP-0220 (what is currently published).
However, the authoritative-host-unknown condition that Phillip has
defined does not have an exact counterpart in stanza errors, so we might
need to define something new.
Ralph, do you have further feedback?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the Standards