[Standards] XEP-283

George Trethewey gt at avolvapris.info
Thu Feb 10 18:08:08 UTC 2011

On 04/02/2011, at 14:34, Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
> 04.02.2011 02:02, Ben Schumacher wrote:
>> On 1/30/11 8:26 PM, Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
>>> What I really don't like in this XEP is that it contradicts the idea of "keep clients simple". I think we can do the same using server-side redirects (we have such error type already defined in the core RFC). In that case a client just need to set a redirect and his/her contacts should process presence redirects correctly. Also, redirects can be used for temporary migration and not only for account removal.
>>
>> Attempting to "keep clients simple" shouldn't come before all other considerations. In this case I believe that using a redirect so greatly complicates the security model (not to mention the server implementation) that it's necessary to have some work on both sides. There is a widely held belief among protocol snobs that the email system's flexibility in this regard leads to a lot of the exploits that have made it so ripe for abuse.
>>
>> Being able to balance the work between the server and the client for XEP-283 means a user still has the ability to maintain their subscriptions while changing their username but is flexible and scalable enough to work in a globally federated environment and still gives the individual the opportunity to review any action before it is taken.
>
> Blah-blah-blah. Could you please be more specific? Especially for "using a redirect so greatly complicates the security model".

Okay, say I have a friend Alfred, with JID alfred at jabber.org. Alfred gets his own domain, alfredrocks.net, & decides that he wants to change his JID to me at alfredrocks.net. If the changeover is implemented by way of redirection at the server, everything is fine until some other Alfred who I don't know jumps in & grabs alfred at jabber.org.

First, what if it turns out I know the second Alfred as well? My server already redirects me at alfredrocks.net to alfred at jabber.org for the client, so what's it gonna tell my client when the actual alfred at jabber.org wants to talk?

Second, what if I export my contacts client-side, start a new account, & import the contacts to this new account, sending out subscription requests? Suddenly I've lost my Alfred & subscribed to the other dude instead, & there's no way my client can tell me otherwise.

The client needs to know if the JID changes.