[Standards] XEP 184 clarification request

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Feb 16 00:09:21 UTC 2011

On 2/15/11 5:01 PM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
> XEP 184 says: The <received/> element SHOULD be the only child of the
> <message/> stanza and SHOULD include an 'id' attribute that echoes
> the 'id' attribute of the sent message.
>
> While it fairly clear (to me) from the context that this SHOULD
> applies to recipient who is generating the receipt, a client
> developer recently suggested by his comments to me that he believed
> the sentence implied that entities forwarding the receipt SHOULD NOT
> add elements to the receipt stanza.  Hence, I think a bit of
> clarification would be appropriate.
>
> I suggest this sentence be slightly reworded and a clarifying
> sentence be added. The <received/> element SHOULD be the only child
> of the generated <message/> stanza and SHOULD include an 'id'
> attribute that echoes the 'id' attribute of the sent message.  It is
> noted that additional elements, e.g. <delay/> elements [XEP-0203],
> may be added by intermediate entities in forwarding the stanza to the
> original sender.

I think it would be appropriate to clarify the terminology more
generally, because "message" is ambiguous in this spec. I suggest the
terms "content message" and "receipt message".

Your additional clarifying sentence is fine with me.

That would result in something like this:

###

When the recipient sends a receipt message, it SHOULD ensure that the
message stanza contains only one child element, namely the <received/>
element qualified by the 'urn:xmpp:receipts' namespace. In addition, it
SHOULD include an 'id' attribute that echoes the 'id' attribute of the
content message. Naturally, intermediate entities might add other
extension elements to the message when routing or delivering the receipt
message, e.g., a <delay/> element as specified in XEP-0203.

###

https://stpeter.im/