[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: vCard4 Over XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Feb 28 23:54:15 UTC 2011

On 2/25/11 11:12 PM, Waqas Hussain wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> On 2/12/11 4:26 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>>
>>> Title: vCard4 Over XMPP
>>>
>>> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP extension for use of the
>>> vCard4 XML format in XMPP systems, with the intent of obsoleting the
>>> vcard-temp format.

>>> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept
>>> this proposal as an official XEP.
>>>

>> BTW, I've fixed some errors in the examples, so the latest version is
>> now 0.0.4. Reload http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/vcard4.html as
>> necessary.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Many more errors in the examples.

<snip/>

Sure, those are easy to fix and I'll do that this week.

> Now some comments. This was the first time I saw the vcard4 XML
> schema. I was surprised at how it requires elements (even if they are
> empty), and requires they be in a specific order. Just for amusement,
> I proceeded to run the validator on the two largest examples within
> the vcardxml draft. As I half expected, they failed.

Please provide that feedback to the vcard4 authors or the list:

> The schema seemed long enough that I gave up on figuring out how
> compatible this is with the existing vcard-temp.

It's better to look at compatibility between vCard3 and vCard4. The
vcard-temp stuff was never even quite in alignment with vCard3, as far
as I know.

> It looks like mapping
> vCard4, vcard-temp, User Avatar, etc to a single backend is going to
> be much more work than I had anticipated.

I hope not.

https://stpeter.im/