[Standards] admin->none, what happens to user if in member-only room

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Wed Sep 21 23:23:58 UTC 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Alexander Holler wrote:

> Am 21.09.2011 03:03, schrieb Kurt Zeilenga:
>> While XEP 45, Section 9.4 is reasonable clear that loss of membership causes a kick from the room, Section 10.7 is less clear of what happens on loss of admin privs.
>>
>> 10.7 says:
>>   If the user is in the room, the service MUST then send updated presence from this individual to all occupants, indicating the loss of administrative privileges by sending a presence element that contains an<x/>  element qualified by the 'http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user' namespace and containing an<item/>  child with the 'affiliation' attribute set to a value other than "admin" or "owner" and the 'role' attribute set to an appropriate value given the affiliation level and the room type
>>
>> and then gives an example of showing the user moved to participant.
>>
>> It doesn't detail what actually is 'appropriate'.
>

> Table 4 (5.1.2 Default Roles) shows what is appropriate.

Where does this table, or anywhere in that section, does it say what actions are triggered due to the affiliation change?

It's not.  Loss of admin affiliation is discussed in section 10… but without detail required to ensure consistent behavior.

Personally, I think the occupant which loss admin privs to a member-only room ought to be kicked.  Others might think otherwise.

-- Kurt