[Standards] Server Synchronization and Roaming

Todd Herman todd at apx-labs.com
Fri Jul 6 02:22:57 UTC 2012

Thanks for the info.

Todd Herman

-----Original Message-----
From: standards-bounces at xmpp.org [mailto:standards-bounces at xmpp.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Wild
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:42 PM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: Re: [Standards] Server Synchronization and Roaming

On 5 July 2012 23:34, Todd Herman <todd at apx-labs.com> wrote:
> I wanted to check if there is an existing XMPP (experimental or
> otherwise) related to synchronizing XMPP servers and allowing roaming?
> We need to allow users to seamlessly switch servers in mid-operation.
> Has anyone looked into doing this or have any thoughts on an approach?

No such XEP exists.

While a nice idea in theory, a protocol allowing such free roaming is actually quite complex, and XMPP is not it.

The primary problem is that the user identifier in XMPP is the JID, which contains "hard-coded" routing information. Thus moving a user to a different server will result in them having a different JID. However a JID is also the basis for everything else in XMPP requiring identity
- subscriptions, access control, etc.

Roaming in some form within a single domain is possible, and various XMPP server implementations support clustering for this purpose.
However clustering itself is quite complex and implementation-specific. Therefore no XEP exists for even this. This shouldn't be a problem if you stick to one implementation, though I don't actually know of any that support literally migrating a live session from one server to another. Possibly something like that could be implemented using XEP-0198 as a basis.

Hope this helps,
Matthew