[Standards] Fwd: XEP-0301 Accessibility (resurrected)

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:43:22 UTC 2012

I'm going to simplify Section 5 simply by making a link to
Activation/Deactivation methods.
Please don't be alarmed, let's work together on Version 0.4, 0.5 and 0.6
until everyone agrees :-)

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> 1. What does it mean to "signal intent"? XEP-0030 provides a way to
> signal support. By "signal intent" do you mean interest in exchanging
> RTT data with a particular conversation partner, or for a particular
> chat session or MUC room, or something else?

Signalling intent is chat session based:
1. Client clicks a button
2. Client signals using <rtt event='start'/>
3. Recipient can respond with one of the activation methods at:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#activating_and_deactivating_realtime_text
Note: This might mean the recipient software prompts for confirmation
*before* activating RTT (i.e. before disco is turned on!).  Privacy of
signalling RTT support is maintained until recipient confirms.

We want senders to be able to signal recipients, even when disco is off,
because:
--> For privacy reasons, some vendors want to keep the existence of
real-time text support a secret until Activation occurs.   (Vendors should
have the choice if they want to do this)
--> But we can't wait until both users on both ends manually activate
real-time text simultaneously.
--> We need a simple method of sender signalling the recipient, so both of
them can synchronize activation simultaneously.

The problem is that activation synchronization *and* privacy (of existence
of RTT) is not possible with disco alone, because disco implies that
senders should never transmit <rtt/> if disco denies the existence of
real-time text support.

Metaphorically speaking:
i.e. in a manner of speaking, we strongly believe senders should be allowed
to "dial the phone".
Even if we don't know if the phone number is good or not.  i.e. senders
should be able to be allowed to try to dial.

> 2. What does it mean to "want to be informed"? Do you mean "want to
> receive RTT data"? If so, again do you mean with a conversation partner
> or for a session/room or something else?

When I say "want to be informed", means:
"I want to be informed of all incoming real-time text attempts without
revealing that my software supports real-time text".

Example:
**** Incoming Real-Time Text detected, but you have it turned off.  Click
to learn more*

Yes, yes, I know it's an implementation issue.
But I'm merely just trying to make it "possible"
But all I tried was to add a single sentence to Section 5, which is causing
all of these arguments!

Help!   (hint, hint)

Sincerely,
Mark Rejhon