[Standards] XEP-0016: managing default privacy list with multiple connected resources

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jul 11 18:15:46 UTC 2012

On 7/7/12 1:37 PM, Andrew Biggs wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me how a server should
> respond to the following case:
>
> (0) Start with no active connections for foo at acme.com.
> (1) A client connects as foo at acme.com/a.
> (2) Via foo at acme.com/a, client declines the default privacy list, as in
> example 20 of XEP-0016.
> (3) A second client connects, as foo at acme.com/b.
> (4) Via foo at acme.com/a, client creates a privacy list, and attempts to
> set it as the default, as in example 18.
>
> Question: should step (4) result in a <conflict/>?

I think so, because it is consistent with business rule #11:

"When a resource attempts to remove a list or specify a new default list
while that list applies to a connected resource other than the sending
resource, the server MUST return a <conflict/> error to the sending
resource and MUST NOT make the requested change."

https://stpeter.im/