[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0276 (Presence Decloaking)

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:58:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> I suggest changing "explicit user configuration" with "explicit user confirmation" and then adding another sentence that the user confirmation can be per request, per first request per requestor, or by setting some "always decloak" configuration option, or other suitable means so long as decloaking doesn't occur by default.  That is, the first MUST is the key security requirement, how to override the default is necessary detail for implementors to address how they see fit.

I have a comment about XEP-0276.   "Total Conversation", specified in
ITU-T F.703 Multimedia Conversational Services, a standard used by
Reach112 (www.reach112.eu) used in real European emergency service
trials, specifies the simultaneous combination of audio, video, and
real-time text.

This is SIP-based real time text, and I envision potential
interoperability use cases for audio-video-RTT transcoding, via
gateways.  This is where XEP-0276 potentially comes in useful for
these European systems, seeing that XEP-0276 is the first XMPP
extension that mentions my XEP-0301 standard.

I want to comment that XEP-0276 only allows mentioning "media" or
"text" as the reason, and not both.  XEP-0276 needs to be updated to
permit a single mechanism activating all three features simultaneously
(audio, video, real-time text).   This might be complicated by using
separate, concurrent negotiation mechanisms for out-of-band mechanisms
(audio, video) and in-band mechanisms (RTT).   Even several of you
agreed that Jingle is overkill for RTT.  It's assumed that clients
could detect multiple authentication mechanisms that happens within a
short period of time to each other, and an implementation can merge
them into a single confirmation message, for potential future
XMPP-based "Total Conversation"-compliant software clients.

Thanks
Mark Rejhon