[Standards] disco identity for "client/smartphone"?

Matthew Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Fri Nov 30 14:44:36 UTC 2012

On Nov 30, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Kozlov Konstantin <yagiza at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 30.11.2012, 12:26, "Kevin Smith" <kevin at kismith.co.uk>:
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>>
>>>  Looking at http://xmpp.org/registrar/disco-categories.html I notice
>>>  that we have disco identities for "client/handheld" (e.g., PDA) and
>>>  "client/phone" (e.g., mobile phone), but I think those are a bit
>>>  old-fashioned by now. We might want to add an identity for
>>>  "client/smartphone" (i.e., a phone that can do a lot more than the
>>>  old-style phones we had in mind when we defined "client/phone").
>>
>> If this thing is capable of running an XMPP client on it, it's a smartphone.
> Why?! Any cheap J2ME-enabled phone can run XMPP client without any problem.
> Usually we call "smartphones" only mobile devices with operating system (Symbian, Windows CE/Mobile/Phone, iOS or Android).
> So, if you call any Java-enabled mobile phone "smartphone", you should agree that no mobile phones produced today at all. Only smartphones!

While our current crop of smartphones can potentially support things like file transfer, A/V, and rich text, I do think the general usability concerns are not significantly different from feature phones; limited screen real estate, connectivity obstacles, limited text entry (http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/ is evidence enough for me) to name a few.

- m&m

Matthew A. Miller
< http://goo.gl/LK55L >