[Standards] [Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Ivan Vučica ivan at vucica.net
Wed Dec 4 16:18:09 UTC 2013

Alright, since XMPP 2.0 was mentioned, here's a few thoughts on
compatibility-breaking changes that would be scratching a few itches I have
with today's XMPP. I've read about some of them elsewhere; sorry for not
listing source material, as any reading I did was done months ago.

In an XMPP 2.0, being encoded with XML should not be the first problem to
solve. First problem to solve should be gripes large installations have
when it comes to federation and load balancing.

There aren't many servers with thousands of concurrent users behind a
single domain, and it seems to me there is a good reason: it's not
something supported by XMPP itself. Large installations have separate
backend infrastructure which often uses different payload delivery
mechanisms, unrelated to XMPP itself. I'm not familiar with what ejabberd
does, but Facebook quite openly states that their internal servers don't
speak XMPP.

How to approach this? I don't know. Here's a thought. Since XMPP does make
significant use of DNS, does have s2s and components, how about some type
of "connection-handling slaves"? Have the initial c2s connection redirected
to a slave specific to a JID. Have the possibility of a received s2s stanza
being distributed to appropriate c2s, but have the receiving server also
respond with "in future, for this JID, talk to this slave".

Another issue that should somehow be elegantly solved in the core protocol
is reducing chattiness through presence filtering and stanza multicasting.
In s2s connections, why not introduce the concept of "Here's a list of all
targets for the following iq stanza" or "Please deliver this presence
stanza to everyone in the 'from' list".

Finally, when implementing a client, we have XML namespaces and their
inconsistent (or with some parsers hard-to-do) implementation. Namespaces
are an awesome solution, but since they are not implemented completely
consistently, XMPP 2.0 would have to ensure that their value is more
obvious and better tested with a compliance suite.

If XMPP didn't depend on some XMLisms like namespaces, it'd be easy to
switch to a different transport mechanism, if someone prefers it. JSON?
Plists? Protobufs? Custom binary? Doesn't matter. Whether XML is used is, I
think, far from the most troublesome problem with deploying large XMPP
installations and federating. If you want to scale, you have to use
non-standardized solutions that are not supported by a lot of otherwise
interesting server software.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan at vucica.net