[Standards] [Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Dec 5 02:17:50 UTC 2013

On 12/4/13 7:04 PM, Alexander Holler wrote:
> Am 05.12.2013 02:51, schrieb Evgeny Khramtsov:
>
>> That's XMPP as it is: if something can be done by hands it will
>> be done by hands :) There are no problems in XMPP. Oh wait... The
>> only problem is TLS in virtual hosting. Let's invent 3 specs to
>> solve it :)
>
> I wouldn't be so hard. It's a historical grown up protocol and it
> isn't that bad, It solved a lot of problems and is well described.
> There are much uglier things around. But maybe M2M offers the
> oportunity to speak about some changes.

The m2m people I've talked with -- OpenADR, ISO, IEC, UPnP, oneM2M,
etc. -- seem to care most about the fact that XMPP has been a standard
for 10+ years, has a clear security story, is known to scale, and is
extensible (they often have XML payloads). Something shiny and new
wouldn't appeal to them.

However, if you guys go off and design something shiny and new, do all
the work to standardize it at the IETF, extend it in various ways, and
wait 10-15 years for your technology to become stable and "safe", I'm
sure that boring old industries like the electrical grid will take an
interest. Of course, by then the technology that was once shiny and
new will itself be seen as crufty and ugly by the cool kids working on
hot new stuff. :-)

For the record, personally I'm quite interested in some of the new
DHT-based systems out there (e.g., Jeremie's telehash project), and
such things could be used for m2m communication. I don't particularly
think that the standards at xmpp.org is the place to discuss and design
such technologies, except if there are integration points of interest.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/