[Standards] Updated: Event logging over XMPP

mat henshall mat at squareconnect.com
Wed Dec 25 01:50:13 UTC 2013

Hi Joachim,

We have over the last few years developed a very rich set of XMPP protocols
fro working with Iot devices… From TV's to air conditioners to thermostats
to battery devices to lighting.. to…. I saw the XEP's you mention as they
were being developed, and unfortunately we were too far ahead in our own
definitions and implementations at the time they were being formulated.
When I last looked at them they were insufficient for the use cases our
customers wanted and we sadly did not have the bandwidth to help make them
'fit'. Which I do regret.

We already had a couple of major brands adopting our protocol, and the
consequence of changing and working with you guys to make changes at that
time were high impact. Now doubly so :-( As is often the case, "executing
code always wins".

I am hoping next year to be able to more fully contribute to the open
standards in this area and also to have a road map for our protocol to
adopt the standards where appropriate.

As we work on the Eventlogging XEP implementation we will be sure to
provide any issues or feedback as we find it.

Mat