[Standards] XEP-0045: Multi-User Chat: Question/problem with modifying member list (e.g. in offline case)

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 21:17:09 UTC 2014

> So you essentially want occupants to be informed about affiliation
> changes of users not in the room.

Correct. Specifically I want occupants to be informed if a normal entity (i.e. non-member) becomes a member. But this is probably also considered an affiliation change from "none" to "member".

> MUC is inconsistent here. For affiliation changes involving admins or
> owners, an implementation MAY broadcast a message to occupants (see
> XEP-0045, examples 176 and 190). Example 190 has a typo, 'member'
> should be 'owner'.

Good find. I didn't saw this.

But it's actually Example 176 which has the typo.

> Instead it would be useful to update the XEP to be
> consistent about the messages it already sends (send for all
> affiliations, not select ones), while allowing implementations freedom
> in what they send (it should remain a MAY, and deployments should be
> free to limit broadcasts to e.g., moderators only).

I endorse your suggestion. Making it consistent for all roles probably makes more sense.

Thanks for your answer!