[Standards] Multiple resource binding

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 1 15:50:42 UTC 2014

Most XMPP servers use the resource name as a key into a lookup table, and
overstamp any inbound stanza with the client's (single) full jid before
forwarding. This does a number of useful things: Firstly, it eliminates any
possibility of a client using the wrong from address, and secondly it
eliminates any need for the server to valdiate and/or stringprep the
supplied address. For these and other reasons, the server implementors
generally pushed back hard against XEP-0193 and similar mechanisms.

I'm personally in the anti-XEP-0193 camp, and I've not seen anything that
suggests this should change.

RFC 6120 doesn't allow multiple resource bindings to happen; however it's
not tremendously explicit. It does, however, say at one point that:

   A server SHOULD allow an entity to
   maintain multiple connected resources simultaneously, where each
   connected resource is associated with a distinct XML stream and is
   differentiated from the other connected resources by a distinct
   resourcepart.