[Standards] MAM and Pubsub

Edwin Mons jsf at edwinm.ik.nu
Tue Feb 3 10:46:20 UTC 2015

On 03/02/15 11:05, Goffi wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I have an issue that I mentioned in Brussel to Matthew with using MAM
> (XEP-0313) for PubSub (XEP-0060)/PEP (XEP-0163).
>
> Today to query a PubSub node with MAM, we need to do (according to
> section 4):
>
> <iq to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit' type='set' id='juliet1'>
>   <query xmlns='urn:xmpp:mam:0' queryid='f28'
> node='fdp/submitted/capulet.lit/sonnets'>
> </iq>
>

> I don't think it's a good way for the following reasons:
>
> 1) only the "node" attribute allow to know that we are doing a query
> on pubsub. What if someday something called also "node" is used in an
> other XEP ?

Having a node attribute is defined in 313 as specifying you want to
search a pubsub archive instead of another type of archive.  I don't see
the confusion.

> 2) pubsub namespace doesn't appear anywhere. In my opinion it's more a
> pubsub request than a MAM request (we query a pubsub service, we just
> want to filter the results), so the pubsub namespace should appear.

No, you're not.  Consider you have a node to which someone has published
with the same item id repeatably, e.g. id='myitem'.  MAM will allow you
to recover previous versions of that particular item, whereas 60 does not.

> 3) as we have no pubsub namespace, it is a big problem to delegate it
> with XEP-0355. That means that instead of just delegating pubsub, we
> need to delegate all MAM traffic, including messages, and then send
> them back to server (which is not possible yet). Lot of useless
> traffic and complications.

Letting this one settle in for a bit.  Delegation is a tough problem to
do properly without breaking things, especially if the namespace
delegated has relations to other specs.

Edwin