[Standards] Move CSI to Last Call ("Proposed")

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Jul 29 14:01:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 4:00 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
> The client knows for example that the roster presence information is
> up-to date. Basically I've an use case of a client using CSI which needs
> to take a decision based on the current presence state of the roster
> items. Imagine the following scenario: Client is in CSI inactive state,
> an external event triggers the client so that he needs to make an
> decision based on the presence state of the roster items. In order to
> get the latest presence information, the client switches to CSI active
> and waits for the queued presence stanzas to arrive. Without the CSI
> state change message notification, the client can't decide when the last
> queued presence stanza has arrived.

Using CSI like this is an abuse of the spec, in my opinion. It was not
designed as a locking / synchronization mechanism, and a new XEP
should be written for this if it's something you need (actually, I
have an XEP that does effectively just this that I've got a green
light on and am ready to submit as soon as I hear back from the
lawyers at work; will advise).

—Sam

--
Sam Whited