[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Jul 30 18:12:19 UTC 2015

>       On 30/07/2015 02:29, Sam Whited wrote:
>       HTTP give  no advantage over Socks5, and doesn't do NAT traversal as Jingle can do, and it's an other whole different server to maintain.
>

> When uploading a file to a server you don't need NAT traversal.

NAT traversal is a feature of xep-0176, not 0166. Thinking out loud:

HTTP Upload is just another transport as far as jingle is concerned.
So you would send your session-initiate with the XEP-0234 description
(instead of reinventing this in example 5) along with an empty
<transport/> qualified by
urn:xmpp:jingle:http-transport-something-something.

In the session-accept you would get a transport element telling you where
to put this. This would basically be the put url.

After the transfer is done, the receiver sends a session-info telling you
the location where to get the file (this is the only design change
compared to the current approach but I think it allows the service to
process things and decouple things)

I think this wouldn't change the semantics of the proposal much, just how
things are done on the wire.