[Standards] [XEP-0353] Jingle Message Initiation

Dumaine, Xander Xander.Dumaine at inin.com
Wed Apr 27 19:50:52 UTC 2016

It looks like my email composer lost some text. Corrected:

In XEP–0353: Jingle Message Initiation, section 3.4 Rejecting Intent to Start a Session we have:

Instead of accepting the call, the responder might want to ignore the call and tell all of her devices to stop ringing (e.g., perhaps because Romeo is getting to be a bit of a nuisance). She does this by rejecting the call on one of her devices and having that device tell all of the other devices to stop ringing, in the form of a message to her own bare JID containing an <reject/> element specifying the session ID of the original <propose/> message.

This enables a user to silence an incoming call, but does not leave room for explicitly rejecting a call. I’d propose that a client MAY send a reject message in response to the propose.

So I’d propose making the following addition:

Next, the responder MAY want to decline the call explicitly, in the form of a message to the sender’s full JID containing a <reject/> element specifying the session ID of the original <propose/> message.

<message from='juliet at capulet.example/tablet'
         to='romeo at montague.example/orchard'>
  <reject xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle-message:0' id='a73sjjvkla37jfea'/>
</message>

Thanks,
Xander Dumaine

In XEP–0353: Jingle Message Initiation, section 3.4 Rejecting Intent to Start a Session we have:

Instead of accepting the call, the responder might want to ignore the call and tell all of her devices to stop ringing (e.g., perhaps because Romeo is getting to be a bit of a nuisance). She does this by rejecting the call on one of her devices and having that device tell all of the other devices to stop ringing, in the form of a message to her own bare JID containing an element specifying the session ID of the original message.

This enables a user to silence an incoming call, but does not leave room for explicitly rejecting a call. I’d propose that a client MAY send a reject message in response to the propose.

So I’d propose making the following addition:

Next, the responder MAY want to decline the call explicitly, in the form of a message to the sender’s full JID containing a element specifying the session ID of the original message.