[Standards] [XEP-0375] Unclear Wording (Was: MIX should not be in 2016 compliance list)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sat Aug 13 17:53:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
> The introduction states that "Unless explicitly noted, support for the
> listed specifications is REQUIRED for compliance purposes."
>
> Individual sections write "To be considered [...] compliant, all line
> items from the core compliance suite above must be met, as well as all
> items in this suite."
>
> However, the tables themselves contain columns titled "Feature" and
> "Providers", and the Providers column contains multiple entries for some
> features. Therefore the question arises if all "Providers" in a given
> line must be implemented, or if it is sufficient to implement only one
> of them.

Agreed; this definitely needs clarification. I did the initial swap
over from XEP based tables to "feature" based tables and never fixed
the wording.

> The "Web Connection Mechanisms" "Providers" column lists "XMPP-WebSocket,
> BOSH and BOSH-XMPP", but it is not clear if it's XMPP-WebSocket AND BOSH
> AND BOSH-XMPP or if it's XMPP-WebSocket OR (BOSH AND BOSH-XMPP).

At least for this particular example there is a footnote for this: "§
Only one of the recommended providers must be implemented for
compliance. "

> I'd like to see an improved vocabulary in the XEP - what are "items",
> "line items", "providers" and "features" - do we really need these
> terms?

Do you have suggestions for alternative terms?

—Sam

--
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3