[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jan 6 13:25:53 UTC 2016

On 06.01.2016 14:08, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 6 January 2016 at 13:00, Peter Waher <peterwaher at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Travis, Steven, Goffi, Andreas & others
>>
>> Thanks for your input. My responses below:
>>
>>> Isn't the point of markdown that it's perfectly readable as plain text,
>>> ie that there is no markup? I'd think sending straight markdown would
>>> be just fine.
>>
>> The point of markdown is that it's easy to write and edit (focus is not
>> reading, even though it's somewhat readable as well). I thought about
>> sending markdown just as-is as well, but after thinking about it for a while
>> decided against it.
>
> Sorry, this is definitely incorrect.

I was about to write the same thing. :)

> If you ask me, the best thing to do here would be to define a way to
> declare a message's body explicitly as being in Markdown syntax. Then
> clients will ignore that tag it and display it as text, unless they
> understand the tag, then they'll know they can run it through a
> Markdown processor and display a formatted version.

I wonder if this is even necessary. Maybe markdown libraries are able
tell if a given String is in markdown or not. Worst thing that could
happen are false positives, and I do think that this won't be often the
case.

I do not see any reason to wrap markdown in an extra element like it is
done with XHTML-IM. I would simply put it into <body/>.

- Florian