[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Ashley Ward ashley.ward at surevine.com
Wed Jan 6 17:53:25 UTC 2016

> On 6 Jan 2016, at 16:28, Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> wrote:
>
> Le mercredi 6 janvier 2016, 15:29:31 Peter Waher a écrit :
>
>>> Alternatively, if it's just about easier input, support Markdown on
>>> the sending side and use XHTML-IM. I don't think we really need more
>>> ways of formatting messages.
>>
>> You would not be able to recover the markdown this way, which might be of
>> interest (see my response earlier).
>
> Actually we do recover Markdown from XHTML. Of course you can have some loss;
> but in practice it's working pretty well (you can test on our demo:
> https://libervia.org, choose markdown in settings/parameters/composition)
>
> Markdown is not standardized, and there will probably always be different
> flavours, I don't think it fit with XMPP, and it should definitely be a client
> only feature and not in a XEP in my opinion.
>
> Goffi

Further to my previous message, maybe a “content type hint” extension:

<message ...>
  # Some markdown or whatever
  Yeah!
<content-type xmlns=“xmpp:contenttype:0”>text/x-markdown</content-type>
</message>

It would be a very simple extension, could piggy-back off MIME content types, and could be safely ignored by clients.

—
Ash