[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Content Types in Messages

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jan 20 16:09:40 UTC 2016

On 1/19/16 9:49 AM, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Content Types in Messages
>
> Abstract: This specification describes a generic method whereby content in messages can be tagged as having a specific Internet Content Type. It also provides a method for sending the same content using different content types, as a fall-back mechanism when communicating between clients having different content type support.

My opinion is that if we want to support text/markdown, let's write a
spec for that.

There is a large list of text media types here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml#text

I don't think it's a great idea to support any arbitrary text format
(sgml, troff, raptorfec, csv, etc.), in part because each one has
different security implications.